Mail Service is a restful email sending service for Apache httpd, and is designed to solve the following problems:
- Provide an HTTP gateway for sending email, removing the need to set up a full Mail Transfer Agent on each box within a datacentre that needs to send email.
- Optionally track the status of email delivered, giving the ability to answer the question "was this email successfully delivered, and when".
Mail Service consists of the following components:
- Email can be queued for delivery via HTTP (or HTTPS) from machines where a native mail transfer agent is not installed using mod_sendmail.
- Delivery status notifications indicating both success or failure can be requested and parsed, and the results saved to a SQL database using processdsn.
- The historical email delivery status captured within the SQL database by processdsn can be browsed restfully using mod_processdsn.
- Mail can be sent via the HTTP gateway using the JavaMail API and the mailhttp JavaMail transport.
The modules are designed to depend on and plug into various systems, such as: